With the rise of skin irritation and adverse reactions to products with fillers and chemicals, (such as petroleum by-products, sodium lauryl sulfate and the like,) I am still amazed at the number of people who continue to use these harmful products, which further irritate the skins’ natural balance. For this month’s Ingredient Spotlight we thought it would be a good idea to look at some of the ingredients that we simply WILL NOT use in our Skincare Studio! Be sure to check your ingredient labels in your bathroom to ensure your bathroom is free from these unsafe and unhealthy ingredients.
1. DEA (diethanolamine), TEA (triethanolamine) & MEA (Monothanolamine)
These chemicals are used in personal care products to adjust the PH of the formulation – they can cause allergic reactions, eye irritation, and toxicity when used over long periods of time.
2. Diazolidinyl Urea- also known as mammal urine! (yes, animal pee!) This disgusting ingredient can cause dermatitis, and itching/burning of the mucous membranes.
3. Anionic Surfactants – are used in about 90% of foaming personal care products. They are also used in car washes, garage floor cleaners, and as engine degreasers. Some common anionic surfactants include: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (ALS), Avoid all of these ingredients if they are on the label!
4. Mineral Oil: Also called liquid parrafinum, mineral oil is a byproduct of petroleum that coats the skin like plastic. It disrupts the skin’s natural ability to purge itself of toxins, slows down cell function and can cause premature aging. HINT: Baby oil is 100% mineral oil!!
5. Propylene/Butylene Glycol: This chemical compound is considered so toxic by the EPA that it mandates that its workers wear protective equipment when handling it. It is a petroleum product that penetrates the skin easily and can cause brain, liver, and kidney malfunctions. (This ingredient is often found in stick deodorants where it can cause acute and chronic health hazards.)
** If you have questions about a product you have, or would like a copy of the resource Sheet, “Are Toxic Chemicals in your Cosmetics”, please let us know! We are here to help! **
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services * U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
Office of Cosmetics and Colors Fact Sheet
December, 1999; revised January 24, 2003
We carry exclusively CosMedix & Société Skincare lines. Both are chirally correct, free of harsh chemicals, containing no parabens, no dyes, no chemical irritation – only high potency vitamins, minerals & antioxidants that change the physiology of the skin.
Skincare products are recommended to support our professional services at home.
Leave A Comment